Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Looking Back: Kawaii Kon 2012

At the time I created this blog, I had finished attending the Kawaii Kon. It is Hawaii's very own anime convention, much like Anime Expo and OtaCon. As a lifetime member, I attend this convention every year. Sometimes I participate in cosplay (combined word of costume play that is often used when referring to dressing up as favorite anime and video game characters). This year, I didn't cosplay as much as I wanted to, but I did make an appearance as Kon, the stuffed lion from the anime Bleach.
Kon, the ever-lovable perverted mascot for the anime Bleach

Overall, I enjoyed my experience. Mostly in part to one of my favorite seiyuu (Japanese voice actor/actress) being one of the guests of honor. This seiyuu is Asakawa Yuu.
Asakawa Yuu, one of my favorite seiyuu

Asakawa Yuu has done a variety of rolls in many different anime from Sakaki in Azumanga Daioh! to Priss Asagiri in Bubblegum Crisis 2040. She also provided the voice samples for Megurine Luka, a Vocaloid character. My favorite characters that she has provided voices for are Rider from Fate/Stay Night and Aoyama Motoko from Love Hina. During her panels at the Kawaii Kon, Asakawa connected with her fans by answering questions. On the last day, during her music panel, she sang two songs - "Waiting for You" the ending theme from Bubblegum Crisis 2040 and "Just Be Friends" one of the popular songs done by Megurine Luka. Watching her perform live in person, to me, made the entire convention worthwhile.

Some other things that I enjoyed at Kawaii Kon was the Special Guest Dinner event where some con-goers get to have a dinner at Hard Rock Cafe with some of the guests of honor. Though Asakawa Yuu did not go, I did get to sit and talk to Lisa Ortiz over dinner. Lisa Ortiz is the English dub voice actress for Lina Inverse from Slayers and Deedlit from Record of Lodoss War. She's a great person and very friendly.
Lisa Ortiz - her character Deedlit was one of my first anime favorite characters
After having such a great experience during this past Kawaii Kon, I'm really looking forward to next year's convention. I've already put in my "wishlist" of guests I'd like to see. Hopefully, at least one of them will end up as being a guest of honor. Kawaii Kon 2013 will be held at the Hawaii Convention Center March 15th to the 17th.

No comments:

Post a Comment